Friday, April 16, 2010

Best smelling nest in the valley!


After taking down the horse fence, I had some Norway Spruce planted along the back of the property.
My hope is that I can attract a wider variety of birds by creating a tiny grove of protected habitat.
I do have an ulterior motive.  Photography.  My new trees are not very big yet.  Only 4-5 feet tall at this point.  But I am delighted to see three birds nests in the nine planted.  This far exceeds my expectations for this year.  This photo is a nest with eggs belonging to a pair of Mourning Doves.  If you notice in the back, they have a dryer sheet woven into the nest.

This is partial view of another nest build by a pair of Mocking Birds.  They've stolen pieces of string used to tie sections of rolled up horse fence, which we've stored on the flat trailer.
The birds have the whole recycling thing down better than I do!

1 comment: